Over the last 15 years I have been afflicted with psoriasis. After years of doing my own research I’ve been led down many paths to try and cure the mad itch! Ok, so there is no cure, but there are many remedies that help. After years of slapping some coal tar on my flaky plaques of skin (and smelling like a newly tarmacked road!) I realised that the psoriasis had more to do with what I was putting in my body and less with what I put on the outside! It started me on the journey of really finding out why I had this in the first place. It was part hereditary (my dad has it, as well as psoriatic arthritis) and I discovered that I had autoimmune disease; basically my immune system was attacking itself. I went to numerous hospital appointments and after a meeting with a Dermatology consultant I was told that I would have to go on Methotrexate (which is a chemotherapy drug) so I decided that I really had to take matters into my own hands!
Here is a comprehensive list of what helped my psoriasis.
- Alkaline Body. What is this? Basically it’s eating more fruit and veg and staying clear of the processed foods. I start my day with either warm lemon water or Apple Cider Vinegar which are both great at alkalining your body. Alkaline means no dairy, sugar and alcohol! Tough diet, and I don’t stick to it 100%, but my theory is that if I try and stick to it most of the time then I am still winning!!
- Steer clear of nightshade foods. This is a list of most of my favourite food, so was gutted when I learnt that I should stay away from them. But it does help. Nightshades are: Tomatoes, potatoes, aubergines, peppers and a whole list of others.
- Read the book: Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative by John Pagano. There is a step by step regimen in the book about how to heal your psoriasis and also how to do a cleanse along with helpful recipes. Every psoriasis sufferer should buy this book, even if you don’t plan on following it step by step….one day you will!!
- The Apple Cider Vinegar and Hemp Oil Wonder! As a topical treatment I have been using Hemp oil (has to be, virgin, organic and cold pressed) and leaving it on for 8 hours. Best to do this at night and wrap some clingfilm around it so it won’t stain your sheets. Then in the morning I shower the hemp oil off ( I use Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap) and apply Apple Cider Vinegar to the patches of scales. The ACV has to be the one with the ‘mother’ otherwise it won’t be as effective. I use Bragg Organic, raw and unfiltered. I also leave the ACV on my skin for as long as I want (the smell wears off after a while) I usually leave it on for about 4-5 hours, but I have only left it on for 45 mins while I get ready to go to work. Since using this treatment, my psoriasis flakes have gone down. My itching has completely disappeared and I can see new skin forming in the centre of the plaques!! Hurray.
- Avicenna Centre for Chinese Medicine. This clinic is based in Brighton, so a long way for me to travel, but it was worth it to go and see Mazin Al-Khafaji, who is the leader in the Chinese Herb world for all skin problems. The herbs he gave me pretty much cleared up my psoriasis within a few months. I only had a ‘hard-to-shift’ patch left after the treatment and unfortunately this started to spread again once the itching started. Going to see Mazin is expensive, so you have to factor in about £500 per month on herbs. BUT, they do come already vacuum packed for you to take day and night ( you never get used to the taste, but it’s not unpleasant….just weird!) and the results are incredible. For me it was worth it to know that there is a cure out there and the Chinese herbs are amazing if you have the money and the time to go to the clinic to see him. http://www.avicenna,co.uk
- CUT OUT SUGAR! It is the enemy, and your psoriasis will not get better unless you can do this. It’s bloody hard I know! I am a die hard sweet tooth person. This has been a tricky one for me. I can do it in stages. Swap sugar for other treats; my favourite being Bounce balls. Instead of reaching for chocolate I go for a Bounce ball and a cup of Pukka Three Tulsi Tea. It works, I promise. It’s hard….but you can do it…if I can!
Try one, some or all of these remedies. I bought loads of books, spent so much money and these are the things that have worked for me. With my lifestyle, I can never really stick to anything for any length of time and that is my downfall. I really tried the alkaline diet for three months where I cut out sugar, dairy and processed foods and this is the one time in my life where I was 100% psoriasis free. It was incredible and there were loads of other health benefits as well. Unfortunately I couldn’t be this person all of the time. I love takeaways every now and again, I love some Green and Blacks chocolate and I really love crisps!! So I’ve allowed myself my treats and I live my life in conscious awareness of my psoriasis and what I SHOULD be putting in my body. Some days good, some days not so good. Try the Hemp oil and ACV treatment to relieve the itching skin because that is amazing. Here’s a picture of the brands I use. The Hemp oil is from Holland and Barratt. The ACV is from Planet Organic, but I think Holland and Barratt sell it also.